Thursday, April 23, 2009
Self Discipline
I do some sort of physical activity every day. Yes, I do my best to do something every single day. Someone asked me the other day why I spend my time working out as much as I do. This is what I told them: For me, it's not so much about the numbers on the scale. Sure, that's an added benefit, but that's usually not the reason I sweat, cramp, or struggle to breathe. It's more of a spiritual issue than that. Just like I have to constantly struggle against my sinful nature, I struggle against my laziness. My body tells me that I want to sit on the couch all night, eating Oatmeal Creme Pies for dinner while I stare at the tv. My heart and mind tell me that my body is God's Temple, and I need to take care of it. It's also a self-control issue. The way I see it is this: God gave me this body, and he expects me to take care of it. God expects me to discipline my body, not my body to discipline me. It's a decision I have to make every day. Some days are harder to make the decision to get off the couch than others, just like with my sinful human nature. But I know that when I'm finished running, kickboxing, lifting weights, or (attemping) pull ups, I sleep and feel much better, from the inside out. Just like I know that God has cleansed me from the inside out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment