Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Mexico, Part II: Albuquerque & Santa Fe

We flew into the airport in Albuquerque. Right away you can tell you're not in the South anymore. :) Immediately, I feel in love with the openness and natural light pouring in everywhere, even the airport.New Mexico is steeped deeply in culture and history. Evidence of this is everywhere, in the colors of the roads, signs, dress, and jewelry. Even the rafters of the airport.
It's funny, but for the lack of green outside, they sure seem to like to decorate with green. Do you think they're compensating for something?? :)
I love this pic of my handsome hubby in our hotel in Albuquerque:
So onward to Santa Fe we went...to meet up with Mitzi, who lives in Santa Fe and was super sweet and gracious and spent her Saturday showing us around.Mitzi lives in an adobe house. I've never seen an adobe house, let alone been in one, so Mitzi allowed me to take some pics of her home. An adobe kitchen:An adobe living room:An adobe staircase (with a mighty handsome man on them):I noticed they don't really have or use carpet out West. I forgot to ask Mitzi about that, so I wonder why that is.

Mitzi's house was complete with a ristra out front, like almost every single other house:Mitzi and I are not really sure what the purpose of ristras are - maybe just decoration?

Mitzi showed us around the square, where there we stumbled across a plethora of white-tents - a festival was going on. Mitzi says there's always something going on at the square and it occasionally happens (like that day) that she'll go to the square and find something going on. The festival/outdoor market was awesome - live music and handcrafted jewelry, paintings (apparently NM is popular for artists), house decors, saddle decors, and everything in between. This is something I don't see everyday, but who knows, they may in NM:In case you're wondering, they also have indoor malls. :)Mitzi took us and her friend Greg up to one of the ski slopes that turns into biking and hiking trails in the summer. Gorgeous scenery!
Mitzi quickly learned my favorite pastime and took me here:Yummy! We're in NM, so we had to get something with NM...ummmm......flare.It definitely made you think twice about your indulgence! :)

Okay, so I saved the best story for last. Mitzi took us and her roommate to this restaurant where they made guacamole right at your table. (On a side note, in our 3.5 day visit, I ate more avocados during that time than I have in my whole life.) It was delicious - smooth and flavorful and smooth like butter.

The cast of characters: avocados, diced tomatoes, diced onions, salt, limes, garlic, cilantro, and diced green peppers.Scoop out the avocado...
Add in other ingredients to your taste...And whisk it all together.And the best part: eat!!!! (Of course!) So delicious!!

After dinner, we headed to Los Alamos. The sun was just going down, and the sky was alight with rays of fire. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment