Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Day I Broke My Hair

So, as we've already established, it's dry here. I mean, I did move to a desert, after all. But before I moved, I associated "desert" with "hot". Anyone out there with me? Okay, but that's so not the case here. It's cold here. Really cold. In fact, it's freaking freezing here, Mr. Bigglesworth! (Name that movie.)

So case in point: today.

The good thing about starting my day after everyone else is finished (East Coast) or almost finished (here), is that I get to get up, study in my pj's, workout in the late morning/early afternoon, shower, and then go wherever I need to (read: school). So today, I'm doing my thing - I get up, study, workout, and shower. Now, let me explain something really quickly. I'm kinda getting into this habit of not blow drying or fixing my hair. Shhh...don't tell my sister (aka: my hairdresser). Thankfully it takes half the amount of time here that it did to dry back home, but with it already being so dry here, it makes my hair dry out even more and it becomes a frizzy mess. Now, back in the South, not blow drying my hair wouldn't have been a problem. Even if it was below freezing. But here, here, my friends, things are different. I went outside after I showered and before I left for class for a few minutes. I'm talking no more than 10 minutes.

My hair got so cold that it froze. MY HAIR FROZE!!!!!!!

Astounded by this development, I did what any other sane person would do. I try to see if it's really frozen. I mean, my mind could be playing tricks on me. So I bring a wad of hair that's all frozen together closer to my eyes, and due to my marriage to a physicist, I start examining it closely. And then, it happened. I inadvertently broke my wad of hair clean off in half. The next few seconds (or was it minutes?) is a blur, as I think I might've gone into shock. After I recovered, I stumbled inside. After a few minutes, the heat inside thawed my hair (what a crazy phrase! I NEVER thought I'd ever write that!). And now you all know and can be prepared. And all was well.

Well, after I blow-dried by hair.

(Epilogue: Thankfully, where the hair broke blends right in with my other layers so you can't tell at all. So it's not a disastrous break. But I had to share the story with you.)

4 comments:

  1. Seriously crazy. But so true. Oh, living out West...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Austin Powers, and oh.my.word. I'm sorry, Lori, the Sheltons will probably never venture your way. I seriously can't handle hair literally freezing. Be careful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Yup, that's right! And ya'll really do need to/have to come visit...just in the spring, summer, or fall. :)

    ReplyDelete