Last weekend we drove 4 hours to the south end of NM to check out the Trinity Site and go to White Sands. If you're unfamiliar with
Trinity Site, it's where the first atomic bomb was tested. It sounds so interesting but unfortunately, for me (and Brent, too, a little bit, I think), it was b-or-ing. Like, really, really boring. Like if-I-wasn't-married-to-a-nuclear-physicist-I'd-turn-around-and-leave boring. The most exciting part was seeing all the security you had to go through to get in. And there were loads of people everywhere, so you couldn't get a good picture of anything without some random stranger in it. And the biggest boring thing of all is that
there's nothing there. I mean, it is where the atomic bomb was dropped. So it's just a big circle of nothing. But the Trinity Site's only open for one day twice a year, and now we can say we've been there and done that. Thankfully we went last weekend without knowing that it's the last time getting in for free...now they're going to start charging $25 a car and $10 a motorcycle to get it. I would've been really upset to pay that much money to walk around in a circle and go through an old house!
Anyway, the highlight of our trip was
White Sands. Hands down SO MUCH FUN! I was a little nervous about it because I'm not a big fan of the sand at the beach. It's course, scratchy, gets everywhere, and sticks to you. So when White Sands was said to be like the beach without water, I wasn't thrilled. But I've got to tell you: I was wrong. I was way wrong.
The sand is soft, cool, powder-soft, and made from gypsum. Sure, it still got everywhere, and I still have sand in my tennis shoes, but the views from the top of dunes are amazing. Reminded me so much of "Lawrence of Arabia". Just breathtaking. And the sky...well, I can't even describe it. And with the mountains behind the dunes, words just can't describe.





We camped in White Sands for one night in one of the dunes. It was only a mile and a half from our car to our campsite, but the first time out it felt like a lot longer. Since the sand shifts over time, it was kinda hard to find land markers and our campsite. Not to mention trying to walk up the side of dunes where the sand just gave away under your feet with 30 pounds on your back!


(Can you see our tent?)


So we got to watch the sun set,



and the sun rise the next morning.



But the best part -
the best part - was yet to come. Playing in the sand!!!!!!!
Brent checking out where he should go down on the sled.

We started off small.

And kept going down, down, down...



On a whim, we bought a cheap plastic snowboard at Walmart. It was awesome for the sand!!


Here's a few videos of us playing in the sand, if you're interested. This is the first time I'm trying to post videos, so let me know if they go through or not.
Brent sandboarding:
Lori sandboarding (I take a little while to get going):
Brent's board into Lori's feet:
Lori trying to go up loose sand (please ignore the butt!):
So far, this is definitely my favorite place in the state to camp and play. I think we're going to try to make this at least a yearly thing. So, so fun!
And just beautiful!
Wow, Lori...
ReplyDeleteThat does look like so much fun! Thanks for the videos....that made me feel like I was there with you (of course, I would never make it up the sand dune!!)
Love ya.
Sudie
LOVE those first five photos ... absolutely ethereal. Glad you two had such an unforgettable adventure!!!
ReplyDeleteLove
your brother
Chris
Lori, this is amazing! I miss you so much!!!! Hope all is well with you guys!
ReplyDeleteSarah