Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good Wife

I was so proud of myself this morning. 

I was being such a good wife. 

I woke Brent up without giving him a wet willy, let him shower without throwing a big cup full of cold ice water over the top of the shower curtain, and didn't even hide one of his shoes under the bed.  I was so proud of myself, in fact, that I decided to go the distance and make him fresh waffles for breakfast instead of jumping into one of my school books.  I'm just so giving like that sometimes.  I mean really...could I be a better wife?? 

Apparently so.

As I was making the waffles in my pjs and fluffy warm socks, I was startled to find that it's snowing outside.  (Side note: Yup, snow.  Before November.  Someone please help me.)  So I yell to Brent to come check out the snow.  He comes into the kitchen with his jeans, shirt, and socks on. 

"Oh, look at that!", he says, while he puts on his shoes.  "Snow!  You know what?  I woke up last night and remembered that I left my truck window cracked.  So I'm going to have to bring a towel or something today because the seat's probably soaked.  Oh hey, would you mind going and starting up my truck?  Thanks."

Me: "Ummm...what?  You...want me...to go out in the snow...in my pjs...and start your truck??"

Him: "Yeah.  Thanks so much, honey."

Me: "Ummm...yeah, about that....no."

Him: "Please?  You'd be such an amazing wife if you did."

Now, this really got my attention.  I mean really, did he even know what I'd done (or haven't done, as the case may be) for him this morning?

Me: "I'm sure I would...but still no.  I'm not getting dressed and putting on shoes just to go start your car with a wet seat in the snow.  Besides, I'm making you breakfast.  Would you rather eat or go start the car yourself?"

Him: "You wouldn't have to get dressed.  Just put on your Crocs.  Please?"

Me: "And get my toes wet and cold?  Sorry, can't.  Love to, but can't."

So I didn't.  Good wife = fail.

So what's the moral of this story?  Well, there's actually a few. 
1. Pride will get you every time. 
2. Sometimes being stubborn can keep you and your toes warm.
3. Don't fight your first instincts...if you want to wake up your husband with a wet willy or throw a cup of ice water over the shower curtain, then do it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment