Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trip to the West: Day 1

6am to 3:30pm - Load the truck.(Clearly, Brent thinks we have too much stuff. I concur. By the way, can I get you some ice water?)

4:30pm - We pull out of Durham, unemployed and homeless. 8:30pm: Scary moment - one of the straps holding the motorcycle to the truck comes loose and is flapping in the wind. The motorcycle almost falls out of the back of the truck. Have heart attack.

8:31pm: Pull off to side of super busy, dark, and windy highway. Have second heart attack. Fix strap, say a prayer of thanksgiving that we noticed it through the 2 inches we can see out the back window, say another prayer and pull out onto the highway.

10:30pm: Check into ghetto-fabulous, run down, scary (both in Halloween decorations and in the smell) Holiday Inn Express in the booming metropolis of Dandridge, TN, where the parking lot is full of only the hottest styles in autos - 4WD, extented cab, and diesel trucks.
11:00pm: Make our own truck fit right in.
12 midnight: Nighty-night!

3 comments:

  1. Check out BP, representin' with the ServeRDU shirt!

    (and of course, I'd have steered you clear of Dandrige. Newport...Motel 6...that's the ticket.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that you are blogging the trek! Can't wait to hear all the adventures :)
    Miss you already, we visited the office and when I turned the corner you weren't sitting there, so WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry the 1st night didn't turn out to be the Hilton in disguise. When we moved to MT, we stopped in a little town and the manager of the motel said they had vacancies, but no "modern conveniences"....you know what that means, right??
    We decided we weren't as tired as we had originally thought....we drove on to find another place with "modern conveniences"...love y'all.
    Mom Sudie

    ReplyDelete