Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas, Snow, & Hiking

I can't believe it's 2011. Seems like yesterday everyone was freaking out about Y2K and I was trying to remember to start the year off with 20-- instead of 199-. Oh, good times, good times.

Anyway, since it's the New Year and every talks about resolutions, resolutions, and more resolutions, I thought instead I'd backtrack a little bit and tell you about our Christmas.

Our awesome neighbors took us hunting for our own tree...not in a store, but in the mountains. It was awesome! And very beautiful! You don't shape them, you just get them how they naturally are. Love it!!Brent helped to put up the star topper.We invited everyone we knew in the state to come over for a Christmas tree decorating dinner. Everyone came but three people.So yes, that means we know 10 people. But on the other hand, that means we have a success rate of having 70% of our friends over. :)

About a week before Christmas it snowed. A lot. But everyone here kept saying it barely "flurried". Uh-huh. But, I have to admit it is beautiful!! (As long as you don't have to go anywhere.)
On Christmas Eve, we drove to Santa Fe for their annual Christmas Eve Canyon Road walk. Brent loves to take pictures of sunsets & sunrises, so here's a picture he took on the way:Canyon Road is a road in downtown Santa Fe that's lined with art galleries, restaurants, stores, and pretty much anything else you could want. On Christmas Eve, they block the street off and businesses put out firolitos, which, literally translated means "little fire". Think luminaries in brown paper bags weighted down with sand with little tea lights in them. The businesses stay open during the walk and invite people in for hot chocolate/tea/cheese & crackers/wine/cupcakes/etc. They also put up massive amounts of lights!They also had large bonfires so you could warm your hands, toes, etc.No marshmellows, though. :)

They also had live music. The musicians would stay in one place or walk around singing, playing an instrument, or a group of people around a bonfire would be singing carols. You're encouraged to join the singing, and people danced, too. Especially the little kids. :)Brent & I were trying to get a picture of how bright the firolitos actually were, but could never show it well. But we did end up with this cute picture!
The day after Christmas we went hiking at Bandelier National Park. We got to see ruins from the Indian settlementas well as where the Indians used to live - in the sides of the cliffs.Isn't this cool?! Can you see the "steps" I'm on in the picture below?
We also made the climb to the Alcove House. It's a 140 foot vertical climb using ladders and stairs to the reconstructed kiva and homes. It was a long trek up (and down),But it was worth it!(I keep telling Brent one of the above picture should be his new Facebook picture! :) )

Our crew at the top, standing on top of the kiva!
After we left Bandelier we weren't finished hiking, so we went to another place to find a hidden cafe that Anne knew about. While we had a little bit of trouble locating the cave, we had a blast exploring the area! After a little while, Brent found his way to the top of a mesa and of course I had to follow - I can't let him climb something without showing that I can do it, too! :)

The views were breathtaking.Our crew, down at the bottom of the mesa.Before we climbed back down, it was the perfect opportunity for another sunset picture taken by Brent!

No comments:

Post a Comment