Thursday, July 16, 2009

Let them eat cake

So lately I think I'm over-caking my office. Meaning every cake I bring in is getting eaten, but I can tell the rate at which it's being eaten is slowing down. Too much cake at the office = more cake to take home or throw away. And, since I absolutely hate throwing away food and we don't need cake around our house, Brent & I were trying to decide what to do with the cakes I'm working on for my class. When I first started the class we thought we had it all figured out: Brent & I would switch off weeks and bring a cake into our respective offices every other week. However, Brent told me at the end of last week the Thursday lunch meeting at his office is no longer being held so to bring a cake into his office would still be fine, but it might not get completely eaten. Now, as stated above, I really do hate wasting food. So last weekend I'm baking the chocolate chip pound cake for last night's class. After it's baked and I'm working on assembling the cake, Brent wonders over to the counter. Here's how the conversation went down:

Me: "Deadgumit! This little piece of this cake layer just crumbled off. Do you want it?"
Brent: "No than - actually, what kind is it?"
Me: "It's a new recipe I'm trying - chocolate chip pound cake."
Brent: "Well, I'd better make sure it tastes okay...just to help you out."
Me: "You're so generous."
Brent: tries cake and his eyes pop open wide with surprise.
Me: "What?? Is it good?? Bad?? Speak to me!!"
Brent: "That...was...a-mazing!"
Me: finally exhales
Brent: breaks off another piece of cake and tries it with the chocolate mousse.
Me: "Hey! Stop crumbling my cake layer!!"
Brent: smiles deviously, then says "So can I take this cake into work with me?"
Me: "Ummm...you know this will be decorated as a baby shower cake, right?"
Brent: "That's okay."
Me: "It'll be in baby colors."
Brent: "That's okay."
Me: "I thought you said you didn't have any more use of cakes on Thursdays."
Brent: "Oh yeah...well, that's okay, too. Trust me - I don't think we'll have any problem getting this one eaten!"


On a side note, I only have two more classes before my cake decorating class is completed. I'm actually already getting really sad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment