Friday, October 23, 2009

Winston Salem

On the way back from hiking at Pilot Mountain on Saturday, we stopped in downtown Winston Salem. It pretty much looked like any other downtown area to me, with a few notable changes. And, thanks to my Encyclopedia husband, I found out the connection between Winston Salem and Winston cigarettes. Yeah, welcome to the tobacco state.
Every time I see this picture, I can't help but think "He did what in his cup?" Ha ha!We were looking for a local place to eat dinner. We ended up eating here:
Yeah, not really local, but still so good! Afterward, we walked to the other corner of the building and had dessert at Kernel Kustard.

Oh.my.goodness. It's kinda like a smaller, nicer The Varsity. It's actually a popcorn and custard shop. They sell hotdogs, hamburgers, and make their own custard and their own flavored popcorn. They played "Oldies but Goodies" songs in the background - clearly my kind of place! It really made me wish I had on a poodle skirt and saddle oxfords. Brent and I shared the Kernel Kustard Sundae - vanilla kustard, warm caramel topping, caramel popcorn, whipped cream, and a cherry. We were both kinda worried we wouldn't like it, but wanted to try something new, and we both LOVED it! So delicious!!
I really, really wish there was one closer to Durham! Then again, maybe it's good for my waistline that there isn't! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment