Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Brent's Birthday

Yesterday was Brent's birthday. I'll save him (or should I say you?) his age, but suffice it to say some of his friends call him "Old Man". :)

Birthdays are special to me - there's just something about celebrating the person who was born and the impact they've had on my life. Now, if only I could remember everyone's birthday I want to...

As Brent's birthday fell on a Monday, we celebrated on Saturday. I took Brent out to dinner at Saratoga Grill in historic downtown Hillsborough. The restaurant is located on the second story of an old building and overlooks the main street.

Afterward we went ice skating at an indoor rink. I mean, what could be more fun than two Southerners going ice skating for the first time in their lives? Yeah, it was quite an experience! And even though the rink turned into Teenie-Bopper Town after 8pm and we totally got skooled (does anyone use that word anymore?) by some pre-teens showing off their skills, we had an absolute blast! The rink wasn't conducive for picture-taking, so, sorry - no pictures from the rink. And we actually just forgot to take pictures at the restaurant. But don't worry - I brought home a souvenir from the evening for each of us:Can you see them on my knees? Yup, I fell - twice. They don't kid when they say that ice is hard. I just didn't realize how hard. But on the bright side, my bruised knees make me feel like I'm six again. :) And how many times did the birthday boy fall? Zero! But I let him get away with it - we were there for his birthday, after all.

On Sunday I made homemade chewy granola bars. Not really for Brent's birthday (as I ate about 3/4 of them myself and just ate the last piece this afternoon), but we can credit it to that if you'd like. :)I can't not do something a little special the actual day of the birthday, even though we actually celebrated before. So, I got up extra early on Monday and made homemade Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Muffins.Yum! Look at all that cinnamon! These were definitely my kind of muffins! I love cinnamon!

(And on a side note, I love this bowl (and just bowls in general - you can never have too many...actually, I feel that way about most kitchen stuff, like wooden spoons. And measuring cups. And baking pans. And fun cake pans. Oh, and serving trays for when you have guests, and covered casserole dishes to take to a friend's house or a dinner, and...) Where was I? Oh, the bowl! I think my aunt gave it to me. It's much bigger than it looks as it kinda bevels out a little like a goldfish bowl and it has a fun red and green swirl. Okay sorry, enough about the bowl.)

Brent thought they were really good and very moist. Of course, he didn't spend 30 minutes chopping apples... :)but I guess that's the price I pay for the Birthday Boy's breakfast! (Don't worry - he definitely doesn't get this treatment very often. In fact, I'm thinking of canceling it for his future birthdays. You know, just so it doesn't go to his head. On the other hand, the cold cereal he eats every other day of the year might remind him of that anyway.) They were so good, it was well worth the time. Except I'm not much of a morning person, and almost slit my finger off about three hundred times trying to chop the apples. In retrospect, I really should have just used the food processor. Huh. Note for next time...

Okay, so don't tell Brent I told you, but I got him a type of Snuggie for his birthday gift. Hey, don't look at me like that! He basically screamed that he wanted one! (Oh wait, that was Sunday night - "It's so stinkin' cold outside! Where's our Snuggies???" I call it his Man Snuggie. It has a foot pocket, a pocket in front of your stomach for your hand and even a small pocket for your cell phone or the remote. I had to try it out...you know, just to make sure it kept a person warm okay:
Guess I'd better start getting used to seeing this sight:Already it's being used and I can tell it will be well-loved. I love that in my Birthday Boy! And doesn't Brent look good in green? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment