Tuesday, May 19, 2009
News Report: Earthquake on East Coast
So yesterday afternoon I was leaving work and had just pulled onto the main road from our offices. So I'm sitting at a red light (shocker!), listening to my radio scan, trying to find a song I know, and all of a sudden, my whole car starts to vibrate to a low growl. Stunned, I looked around to the car in the left lane. She's looking around just as bewildered, until we both hear the growl come closer...and closer...and closer. At this point, my sunglasses are falling off my face and my Tupperware from lunch has slid from the seat to the floor and is making it's way across the passenger's side footrest. I look back at the girl on my left...she's looking around to see what's making the rumbling, too. Finally, we both spot the culprit - the Escalade 5 cars behind us has their sub woofer so loud that it's literally shaking the cars around it. Boom, boom-ba-boom. Boom, boom-ba-boom. I seriously thought this would be the cause of an earthquake. I mean really, was he trying to cause an earthquake? I see the girl in the left lane scowl at her (shaky) rear view mirror while I nonchalantly turn up my radio all the way up. I think I hear a song I know, but alas, it was only the "Ride Home on Bad Mexican Music" show. Back to scan...wait, is that Boogie Wonderland I hear? Is it really like the penguins sing on Happy Feet? As I strain my ears to hear my music and ignore the free massage I'm getting, the light turns green and off we go. I thought, well, once we get going I won't be able to hear the Escalade's bass line. Wouldn't you know it, the Escalade somehow maneuvers to be right behind me. Moreover, I was actually completely wrong with my thought that somehow the movement would decrease the moving earthquake. I mean really, I just wanted to hear if Boogie Wonderland sounded like the movie penguin interpretation! Finally, finally, finally, the spinning hub cabs of the Escalade pass me by (it's not like I was going to run the red light with him just to stay next to him). After a quick prayer to thank the Lord that the Escalade has moved on and for my headache to reside, a car next to me pulls up, looks around with a confused look on his face, glares in my direction, and promptly turns up his radio. It took me a minute to realize...since I hadn't turned down my radio yet, I had just become the masseuse. And yes, I got an even stranger look from him as I busted out laughing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment